Friday, July 30, 2010

World War Three.

"Who's your best friend"
Oh, I don't have one
"Why not"
She's long gone.

I catch myself as I spit the words
I stop and look around
It had to be someone else
My apologies come out
without sound

I taste the hate on my tongue
in the things I send your way
I listen to myself
as if I'm someone else
the things anger makes me say

I watch myself reach out
as the monster I am
I shove you away from me.
I shove away the memories
I push the one thing
that had some kind of value to me
I reach out
watch myself
as I'm someone else
and leave my best friend

Now I'm standing in the bleakest corner
of my empty room
starting at the photographs
memories of you
Staring at the one mistake
you wont let me undo
Arms folded neatly
like laundry across my chest
glaring at what I created
staring at this mess.
I stand back
helpless
as one by one
memory by memory
the girl who was apart of me
I watch each one fall.


As each smile hits the cold floor
as cold as I've been to you
I bow my head
hearing over and over
and over again
all that was spit and said
my tears are ice
they break on the floor
I don't want to cry anymore
the fighting is old
the yelling is stale
what started out as wind and rain
is thunder and hail

I regret everytime I spoke your name
the things I said in pain
as I stare at the aftermath
I'm the one to blame
look at what we've done
we're world war three.

to think we were inseparable
identical at heart
to think we sat and swore
we wouldn't be apart
When I stood up on stage
you followed close behind
when I stumbled
messed up
you gave me another try
I listened to your dreams
I heard your tears
I stood with you
fighting fears.
I remember sitting on the bleachers
when I lost a battle with myself
you looked at me and promised
you'd do anything to help
you sat that day
caught me by the eye
"I promise we won't have to say goodbye"
Secrets we whispered
promises made
days where you'd run for cover
while I danced through the rain

I stop myself mid-memory
shake away everything
I look at the phone thrown on my bed
I can press the buttons
make a call
but I stop and shake my head
you wouldn't answer me
we're world war three

flashback to the things I said
I stabbed you in the back
I laughed at you
as I headed down a different track
You stared at me
fought me back
we threw words at each other
I couldn't stop myself
I hated you.
saw you as someone else.

I watch the birthday parties
acting competitions
rehearsals
lunches
mirror pictures
I watch everything that meant something
fall
so silently.

I won't chase you down
I won't swallow my pride
I won't look at you
or apologize
but as I stare at us
ruins of us on the floor
I collapse
I don't want to cry anymore
I don't want to fight this war

"whos your best friend"
Oh, I don't have one.
"why not?"
she's long gone.
...and I want her back.





1 comment: