Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mirror Mirror On The Wall

Shoulders back
chin up
smile
I tell myself that over and over again
but standing tall in front of my reflection
all I see is false confidence
masking my imperfections
I can't make eye contact with the girl in my mirror
All I can think is
how did I get here?

When did I begin to hide
more importantly when did I
have anything to hide
since when do I feel pain
besides a bruise or two
since when is a smile
nothing but a mask for the truth

Who is this girl?
when did she get so mean ?
Who's smile is that?
What?
It can't be me.

She doesn't laugh anymore
she ignores the open doors
perfectly happy being alone
growing up on her own

Shoulders back
chin up
smile
It's fake but it's who I see
and all I can think is
this girl
she's not me
she's not laughing at crazy things
she's not running for the hell of it
crashing into daisies for the smell of it
I stand a little taller
to see myself a little clearer
Looking in the mirror
how did I get here?

No comments:

Post a Comment